(2010 Pushcart nomination from Joyful!)
Because in the midst of a rainstorm
a tree can be halved by lightning
and spare one survivor between Heaven
and home, and sometimes water
can flow from the tub, seep though
a floor of another man’s ceiling
who’s thankful for rain when his
dwelling is parched, and because
speech is occasionally slurred from
the onset of illness rather than gin
proven by doctors in search of a cure
and sometimes a woman will die
in childbirth before the infant is placed
on her belly, for the joy of life
and being a mother. Because of this
I’ll write you a poem, imagine you
reading this hodgepodge of lines,
with a need for hope and hands raised
high, for the craving of fingers wrap
around fingers, connecting souls
in a manmade steeple. Because
of this I’ll write you a poem and a poem
and a poem, until we know all that we
don’t; until we embrace all that we aren’t,
until we are in awe of the universe
and forever united within these words.
Journal links: forthcoming or newly published poems- [title poem listed if already published]
- War, Literature and the Arts
- Featured poet for CAV
- Subtle Tea: A Furniture Hoarder's Confession
- Pig in a Poke: Windchest
- Able Muse: Breakfast in Winter
- Foliate Oak: A Thousand Apologies
- Virgogray press: Steps on Being You
- Tryst 3: Dance of the Deer
- Umbrella: Broken Player
- OVS Magazine: An Umbrella Problem
- Deuce Coupe: Walking Backwards
- Asphodel Madness: Broken Doorstep
- The Legendary: Belongings
- Splash of Red: Candy Addict
- Decompression: Letter to a Flower Monger
- The Boston Literary Review: The Buttefly Room
- Leaf Garden Press: My Father's Old Watch
- Writer's Bloc, Rutgers: "To the Right of Everything"
- Toasted Cheese: "When the Leaves were Bare
- The Coachella Review: "April Visit"
- Wilderness House Literary Review: "Business Trip"
- WestWard Quarterly: "Pinioned"
- Past Simple 7: "Best Behavior"
- Breadcrumb Scabs: "Ode to the Dark"
- Madswirl: "Dormant Forces: For I Will Consider"
- The Dirty Napkin: " Without Seeing"
- Umbrella/Bumbershoot Annual: "Will Work for Ants"
- Pierene's Fountain: "The Goodwife"
- decomP: " Just Desserts"
- The Centrifugal Eye: " Meet Me"
- Feathertale: " Evanescent"
- Strong Verse: " Eight in the Morning"
- Thick with Conviction: " Mother of the Emperor"
- PoetryMidwest:" Alice with Ruby Slippers"
- The Smoking Poet: "Forgive Me"
- Toronto Quarterly: " Study of the Negatives"
Journal Links with published poems current or archived
- Tipton: " After She's Gone"
- Blueprint Review 'rereads'
- The Houston Literary Review: "Notes for Burning"
- Best Poem: "The Waiting Room"
- The Lyric: "Black Horses"
- Quill & Ink: "Undone on Sunday"
- Poet's Letter: "Flagged Tomb"
- Ascent Aspirations, Conversations in Silence
- Ink, Sweat and Tears, "Regarding your Submission"
- Hudson View: "A Few Confessions"
- Ardent!: "Internal Tears"
- The Scruffy Dog Review: " Lost in Kansas"
- Skyline Magazine: "Residual Effects of the Nunnery"
- Lucid Rhythms: "Note on a Windowsill"
- The Mississipi Crow: " Frustration"
- Gold Wake Press Anthology, Mistaken Identity
- Soundzine: " Detonate"
- Rattlesnake Press: "To My Husband"
- The Cleave:"One Last Thing"
- The Battered Suitcase: "S'agao"
- Oak Bend Review: " The Appointment"
- The Ghazal Page
- Shine Journal:" The Soothsayer"
- The Boston Literary Review: "What I Never Said"
- Poetry Friends: " Naked Dream"
- Sacramento Poetry Art & Music: "Revelations"
- Madswirl: " One Small Thing"
- Debris Magazine: "Under"
- Poet's Letter: "Flagged Tomb"
- Flutter: "The Dandelion Clock"
- Up the Staircase: "My Mother's Piano"
- Poet's Ink Review: "Waiting for the Vessel"
- Silenced Press: "Thoughts with Beethoven"
- Chantarelle's Notebook: "I Said I'm Sorry"
- Moondance: "Unwinged"
- New Mirage Quarterly: "Venus and Mars"
- A Tendor Touch: "The Lullaby Hours"
- The Pregnant Moon Review: "Before Dying"